View Single Post
Old
09-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Off Sides

vCash: 1710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
How does that work? UFA's have the ability to field offers from everyone and thus get overpaid.

Rangers have the leverage with Stepan because he is RFA. That is how the organization saves cap, and it has been for years now.

I haven't heard anything on possible Lundqvist talks but for that I actually blame the Rangers because he should already be extended. Rangers shouldn't let him play a game this season without a contract for next year. Get that done because he is the franchise.
So let them, set a price stick to it, if you asked Lundqvist when he was 12 if he needed 8M or 7.5M per year to play for the New York Rangers when he was 31, would he have said I need 8M?

My point was they didn't save anything on Asham, Pyatt, they put themselves in the position to need those players, so they overspent by 250-500K on each of them. Put themselves in the position to need to pick up Powe off waivers with his cap hit. Put themselves in this position by giving into whatever Richards wanted by trying to circumvent the cap, they made their cap structure by spending it on UFAs and trading for Nash, they have not overspend on any RFA since Dubinsky yet here they are.