View Single Post
Old
09-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Random Forest
aka hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
That would pretty much mean you're putting Voracek on a 3rd line. I don't like that regardless of the bumped up minutes they'd get if they rolled 3 lines evenly. Only way I could see that would be on a PP, but doubt Couts would be centering either of the PP units with G and V ahead of him.
Like I said, it doesn't make sense to start the season with that line, but at some point in the year, things are bound to get mixed up. With the performance of Akeson, Raffl, Cousins, and Laughton, one is bound to succeed in a top nine role. That means we could ice a top line and basically two second lines.

My premise is basically that Giroux and Voracek have both proven that they can anchor their own lines. Neither needs the other in order to produce. Giroux will put up PPG numbers regardless of his linemates, so I have no problem moving Voracek around to maximize our offensive assets.

Hartnell-Giroux-Akeson/Raffl
Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Voracek-Couturier-Read

Obviously neither Akeson nor Raffl are top line wingers, but Giroux doesn't need to have top line wingers in order to be productive. This would give us an extremely balanced forward group, and it would make line matching extremely difficult against the Flyers. That's three lines that can effectively score and wear down the opponents D. Depth is the Flyers biggest strength, so why not play to your strengths? No need to ice a top heavy team and give Couturier the leftovers so he can yet again be in a primarily defensive role. Give him and his line some offensive talent, and you'll see how effective they can be in a two-way role rather than a shut down role.

EDIT: In fact, I think it's counter-productive to keep Giroux and Voracek together. They both need the puck on their stick, and keeping them together means decreasing the amount of possession time each one has. Giving Couturier the leftovers (ie, Raffl, Akeson, etc.) would mean that there are no skilled puck carriers on that line and would once again essentially be condemning Couturier to a defense only role. Not very smart, imo.

Random Forest is online now   Reply With Quote