View Single Post
Old
09-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy6 View Post
I'm pretty sure that Kopitar already played for Slovenia in an IIHF tourney thus making him ineligible to play for anyone else. Bobby Holik tried to do that and was denied.

I think this is a good rule by the IIHF. Guys shouldn't just be able to play for another country that they weren't born in, spent a large chunk of their youth in, or who don't have a parent who was born in that country. Allowing that to happen would severely cheapen international hockey.

I can remember Peter Stastny and Petr Nedved playing for Canada and I never agreed with it. They're not Canadian. They weren't born here or trained here and shouldn't have been allowed to play for Canada.

Think of how many Canadians play in the States for the majority of their careers and eventually get US citizenship. Could you imagine what it would be like if a Gretzky or Lemieux or Yzerman had decided to suit up for the Americans at the end of their careers? That would have been stupid and would have completely turned me off of watching International hockey.

In no way am I against dual citizens playing both sides like Brett Hull, Adam Deadmarsh, or Tyler Myers. That's a completely different scenerio.

I saw Kopitar play in Austria at the world's as a 17 (?) year old. What are the rules on playing in official IIHF competitions and then switching allegiances?

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote