View Single Post
Old
09-17-2013, 04:58 PM
kolankosf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Gus stinks. I don't get all the love this guy gets around here.

I remember getting blasted about a comment I made like this before.

Gus has a terrible time doing the little things right. I find he tends to get caught out of position in his own end ALOT especially infront of the net, and gets caught watching the play instead of playing the play. During the Leafs game, his positioning on the shots from the point on the PP were terrible. He'd have many opportunities to pass to L.Schenn for a bomb, but would try to fire the puck, almost chest high through a crowd while the goalie was squared up in the net. Make the pass for a one timer while the goalie is moving!He was circling around guys during scrimmages for the puck, so he'd be out of position when someone finally got it (Between a Leaf player and the boards). He also has a lot of trouble (even in the AHL) holding the puck in the offensive zone, and it's twice as bad during a PP. I my opinion, the guy is a momentum killer.

Giving Morin a shot on the third pair wouldn't hurt Gus. Gus has had a few seasons to fix these issues, and still has trouble. Morin seems a bit more adept and giving him the opportunity to play against the best, gain that experience and pick up on some veteran advice, and using them effectively against the best competition in the world WILL make him a beast in the juniors. These tools he has the opportunity to learn WILL develop him into the defenceman the Flyers need and want him to be. You can't just tell a kid to go be a beast in juniors without giving him the tools, tutoring and experience.

Gus' ship has nearly sailed. He played well at the back stretch of a shortened season, and had a good world tournament (While most of the top guys were in the Stanley Cup Playoffs). But that was what? 2 good months strung together during 2-3 years?

Let us hold a moment of silence and remember Jim Carrey's Vezina Trophy season...

kolankosf is offline   Reply With Quote