Thread: Michael Ryder
View Single Post
Old
11-20-2006, 08:50 PM
habgab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I'm sick and tired of hearing that "30-goals-scorer" argument. It's not like he was a Brad Richards, Shane Doan, Ryan Smith or Chris Drury kind of 30 goals scorer. Ryder is a very expandable player, who can only score when he's got a perfect pass from is centerman. He can't pass the puck and therefore breaks a lot of play in the offensive zone. He's to much of a up and down guy who's not only invisible in the offensive zone during is "down period" but extremely dangerous in the defensive end (he's at least getting better at that). Not only is he very "tradable" but, when you look at other options there all better.

Higgins (no argument to be made here or so I think),

Lats (He's a much better passer, stronger along the boards, a tank in front of the net, good finisher...really impresses me)

Kovalev (no argument, even if he's playing like sh** right now, he's got better numbers)

Perezho (Not sure if he'll flourish into a definite top six winger, but anyway brings much more energy and diversity to his game)

Samsonov (As good as Ryder right now, which is not a compliment coming from me, 3,5mil is harder to trade...and looks kind of bad to trade him after he sign as a UFA...maybe this summer, if he doesn't get back to Boston form?)

Kostitsyn (Could definitely blossom into a top six winger, cheaper option that needs time to develop, better shot, faster and seems to be a future game breaker)

So when you look at it, if there's some interest and a possibility to get a good (if not a great) centerman for Kovalev, he should be the first traded.
What is an expandable player, pray tell? Do you mean expendible? If you do, I think you are wrong - he is more than a thirty goal scorer, he brings other things as well....why not trade Kovalev - he has nowhere near as many hits, is turning into another cancer on the team, gets a huge salary, is a defensive liability (two major giveaways in the last game alone) and requires that a whole team revolve around him. Give Ryder a break - at least he shows up to most of the games while Kovalev may as well sit half of them out in a sauna somewhere.

habgab is offline   Reply With Quote