View Single Post
Old
09-19-2013, 11:09 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Yes, but it's going to be over 1m and as you say leaving the most possible is best. Which is why they are playing hard ball.

My post wasn't directed at you personally, but there are a lot of people who think we can't afford to sign him because Sather sucks.
No offense taken. I know you weren't directing it at me. I was just adding to what you said in agreement.

I'm not mad at either side. Its a frustrating process but thats part of the business. People don't understand that. Sather has to win every dollar and cent he can out of this deal. Richards contract has nothing to do with this situation. Sather paid Richards to what the market (other interested teams) were willing to pay. The Rangers desperately needed a #1 center. Whether he has lived up to that or not is still up for debate. Hindsight is 20/20. I believe it was LAK or CGY or both. Sather got him for less. Sather and company are negotiating based on comparable bridge deals with guys like Couture, Kadri, and Duchene. They know what their max is they would be willing to pay, but when you are a GM you don't to just give the max up front. You negotiate as far from the max as possible and call it a day. Stepan has no leverage. No arb rights. They know he likes NY. They know his college buddy, McDonagh is here. They have fellow Americans here that he has played with through international play. It is a comfort zone he cant get anywhere else.

Its business. Criticize Sather all you want, but he is handling this the right way.