View Single Post
Old
09-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
Limited in how much they can spend. Assume the case of no cap they would not care so much if they slightly overpaid him since it would have no effect on anything else. (See Holik, Kasparaitis, Lindros etc..lots of guys we signed pre the 04-05 lockout) Dolan is willing to spend whatever it's not like we have a self imposed cap. Even though we can open up a little bit of room now by sending guys to the minors Sather and co. still don't want to get that close to the cap now that will make it hard for us to make midseason acquisitions. By having only 2.2M (pre sending guys to the minors) compared to 9M or so they are forced to be more selective since they want to keep flexibility to make other moves this year and in later years.

I don't think it's the main reason but it definitely is a factor.
The Rangers have had less cap space than $1m at the start of the season and been just fine plenty of times.

The cap situation has zero, and I mean zero, to do with Sather's negotiating position. Buyout Richards or don't buyout Richards, and we end up exactly where we are today. With no cap, of course it wouldn't matter how much we paid him. But who cares about that reality? Sather doesn't spend hard on 2nd contracts for forwards. Ever. It's not about our cap situation today or for this season. It's about Sather's organizational philosophy.

All of that being said, $3.5m isn't really an unreasonable number, so I'm frustrated that we're sitting where we are.