View Single Post
Old
11-21-2006, 06:02 PM
bleedgreen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
I wouldn't forget the biggest piece of all. Cam Ward. I think that Justin Peters is going to be moved down the road for a scoring forward or another defenseman considering he's going to be blocked by Ward, who looks to be a really solid bet as the Hurricanes starter for the next decade. With a team that is as cost effective as we are, Nastiuk and Peters could net us a solid return from a team that is looking for some goaltending depth. Peters especially, considering he's an elite level talent.
i know we like him, but i havent heard all that much about him reaching that higher level status yet. with guys like nolan shaefer going through waivers for cheap, and noone biting i question the goaltending market for the young unproven types. i think peters will have to become a backup for a couple of years to show he is worth anything in a trade. i cant see jr going with 22 year old ward with a younger peters backing him up - but then again i couldnt see the canes going with 20 yr old ward as backup during the lockout season, and they were going to do it.

with nasty in the echl right now, i think we would probably over value his worth right now. he was a great junior goalie who is now trying to prove he can be a competent pro. i dont think anyone is paying to get this kid till he proves it. i think these two have minimal trade value, and will do more for us as depth players in the future.

im worried about this year, im afraid jr will trade off more youngsters (who we cant afford to give away any more of) in this chase for a repeat cup. im not convinced this team has it. we're good, and trading off more youngster in a ttempt to recreate last year will be imo a big mistake. i love gleason but he isnt putting us over the edge to cup fave - in the end jj wouldve been better. im only bringing this up because im of the opinion the only reason jj got traded was because jr wanted a dman right now, not because jj was being difficult. if all we got for jj was gleason, what are going to get for these guys? it wont be worth it unless we won the cup, and like i said, im not sure this is the year for that. i think this is the year we just let ride, and only pick up guys who come cheap.

i wouldnt be surprised to see babchuk go for an older defenseman. jr likes vets who can skate. he may not want to wait for babs to be the man he seems poised to become.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote