View Single Post
Old
09-20-2013, 10:22 AM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathronas View Post
Now you're thinking like a Leafs GM which wants immediate results no matter what. Instant gratification does not work in the NHL. You have to build a contender.

I agree with you that Gauthier was much maligned as he was good finding prospect.

Emelin was not an instant nhl'er he was drafted in 2004 and started in MTL 2 years ago.

Basically you want a fast food team.
Bouillon and Drewiskie make us a fast food team. I want a team build responsibly and with the future in mind. I don't want 36 year old Briere or 28 year old Bouillon. Those are stopgaps.

And my point was that Gauthier INJECTED assets into the system where there weren't any. Diaz and Emelin immediately factored into our top6, top4 by the end of the season actually. That's proper management, not this haphazard sillyness that Bergevin's doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I'm not one of those that touted Gauthier as a failure as GM. He was rough around the edges and rubbed some the wrong way so they disliked him, bring Emelin and Diaz over as well as the Bourque trade were good moves. Kaberle one didn't work out so well but he cost next to nothing.

That being said, I don't see any options which were a huge upgrade on Murray that were available this summer. Unless Phillie was willing to move one of Coburn Meszaros or Grossman cheap, the market on defense was pretty bare. You can argue Hainsey or Whitney, but Murray though he is not as good as them, is a better fit for the Habs needs. Both of those guys are more skilled and mobile but can't come close to Murray in toughness and mean streak, two things the chorus on here was clamoring for.
Murray's signing doesn't really affect us in a bad way but when you see that Hainsey went for 2m and Komisarek for 700k (to a bottom-feeding team no less) it's kind of frustrating to see Bouillon and the eternally useless Drewiskie locked in and extended.

I was happy with his signing because it finally meant one of our bottom4 players could actually clear the crease for once. But it still indicated patchwork management and I hate Bergevin for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I guess you believe that the whole point of being a fan is to criticize no matter what, never be satisfied with anything regardless of the circumstances?
I'm getting older and I don't see this team improving in anyway. Instead of an organizational do-over, which we thought would happen, we now see that Gauthier was just the scapegoat and the status-quo was to be maintained. Mediocre French players and coaches, never make the big move, keep trudging along and sucking the fans dry, rinse and repeat.

Name one thing Bergevin did differently from Gainey?

After last year's disaster of a PK you'd figure that one of those idiot assistant coaches would've seen his head rolling down Parc Avenue, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Man, you need help
You need to ease off the xanax and smell the roses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
The problem isn't Bergevin.

Look at our draft picks for DMen over the last several years. Next look at Ottawa's draft history for DMen during the same period. There is your problem.

Our previous management believed that larger DMen are not a target for the draft (except Tinordi).

Gainey/Gauthier put us in this position. Bergevin is trying with the addition of Murray (who is vilified by a lot of people here even before the season starts)

The Gauthier era hurt this team a lot.
You're the guy who wanted to dump Subban for being "selfish" during his hold-out.

You don't have much credibility left, and if you did you'd be dismissed again because Gauthier was only around for two drafts and we got Beaulieu and Tinordi out of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Except that the "right price" is often so damn wrong.
Only on HFBoards. In reality there are interesting trades done all the time. Look at Brent Burns, look at Shattenkirk and so on.

If our drafting is so good, then we should have some assets, no?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote