View Single Post
Old
11-21-2006, 08:14 PM
turnbuckle*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs_Apostle View Post
Crazy talk. I have no problem demoting Kost as long as there is parity in the process. The fact is that Kost, in addition to paying his dues in the AHL, did every bit as much as Lats to deserve a chance with the big club. Yet Lats gets priority and is given every chance imagineable to impress.

I'm not saying the latter process applied to Lats is right or wrong, just simply that if that is the standard then apply it to every prospect across the board. And by the way, Kost looked better in his first few NHL games than Lats did in his, so how the heck did Lats beat him out of the spot? Crazy talk I tell you. I'm not here to rah, rah, rah for Kost; I would make the same observation if the roles for Lats and Kost were reversed.

It's simply about parity in the process. Just imagine the same thing happening where you work, where some guy who has been at the job two years less than you and who has not demonstrated he can do the job any better than you, gets a promotion ahead of you (perhaps simply because the boss feels that somewhere down the road this fella might be able to do the job better than you). I ask you, in all honesty, how would you feel?
We're in the now - did Kostitsyn play better than Lats when he was called up?

Paying his dues in the AHL - are you serious? He'd be one of the least accomplished Hab AHLers ever called up permanenetly. He hasn't even hit the 20-goal mark at the AHL level, and you think he's paid his dues? The one goal he's scored this season is "paying his dues"?

Latendresse brings his all every night and adds a physical element that is tons more effective than a player who floats around 70 per cent of the time, only to look spectacular for a few seconds on occasion before failing to score. Kostitsyn starts scoring goals and he'll be put on a scoring line in Montreal. We don't have time to be screwing around because he's the "Golden Boy", thanks for coming out, but Latendresse is playing harder than him and outproducing him. He also gets it; he knows how to play hockey.

You are aware that Lats had to be kept or sent back to junior right? The Habs didn't want him to go back to old habits in junior hockey, so they made a decision to keep after he wasn't outplayed in training camp by a player two years older and picked 35 spots ahead of him. Again, Latendresse head-to-head outperformed Kostitsyn in September, so he earned his spot. He wasn't great at the start of the season playing little ice time, but neither was Kostitsyn in the minors on the top line playing piles of minutes, inconsistent as usual and not scoring.

Not sure you're aware of this, but the Habs lack a physical presence up front, and Latendresse brings it in spades. The kid is a load, and is already a lot harder to knock off his feet than most Hab forwards.

I don't think you can knock the way the Habs brought him along slowly - to say he hasn't played well since given more ice time, or improved as the season has gone along, would be false.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote