View Single Post
Old
09-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Markov and Diaz are puck movers, an essential asset to defense, in fact, the most important aspect by a few miles.
Puck moving is important. Most important? Debatable.

I know I'd rather have Zedeno Chara defending a one goal lead in the final minute of play rather than Paul Coffey. And I loved Paul Coffey.

Who the **** said that puck moving wasn't important dude? Nobody denies this. But if you've got a team of Paul Coffeys or Marty St. Louis you are going to have problems.

It's about balance.
Quote:
Defense isn't the narrative you're suggesting, being stuck in your end isn't a good thing. Moving the puck out promptly is more important than everything else. Diaz/Markov are well above average.
Diaz and Markov are great with the puck and not good without it.
Quote:
They won't provide the protection you're talking about and quite frankly what they provide is twice as valuable. I'm done in this thread, it's like talking to a brick wall, people repeating the same non sense post after post. Posting isolated games and other foolishness like this somehow proves their point.
What's foolish is trying to argue that puck moving is all you need out of your blueliners and you'll be fine. As for it being twice as valuable... that's nonsense. I could see the argument that it's twice as hard to find those kinds of players and that you should hang onto them when you have them but again it's about balance.

You've actually encapsulated exactly what's been wrong with our team for years. We think that by having nothing but puck moving speedy players we can win. It doesn't work that way. You need balance. You need some size and some grit. We've got arguably the best offensive blueline in the league and yet we go nowhere because the freaking Ottawa Senators (not exactly intimidating) beat the crap out of us.

We've totally ignored the aspect of the game where standing in front of the net is important. It IS important. Clearing the net is important. If you don't do this you won't win. We've proven this time and again. Of course you need puck moving guys. But having a Marc Staal or Dino Ciccarelli in your lineup (which we don't) is important too.

Have you ever seen this team grind out a win? Seriously man. We couldn't grind our way out of a paper bag with Miley Cyrus' help.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote