Thread: Prospect Info: Morgan Ellis
View Single Post
Old
09-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Estimated_Prophet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
6'1 Isn't big ? Is he some kind of smurf and I don't know ? 6'1 at 20 is big enough, when you consider our roster.
Can we consider is skating a weakness ? Absolutely not, thus he's a pretty good skater. I never claimed he was Subban here, were comparing him to Morgan freaking Elllis. What gets me going is that Dietz was a shy Dman who didn't take risk in his draft year, he joined the rush sometimes and made good outlet passes, but now his game has matured and he seem to control the play a lot more.

Anyway, his main weakness, when he was drafted was that he was a long shot and that he had no real standout skills, now we've seen one stand out skill and its the ability to control the play. He got a good rise in my personal ranking. Not many weakness on that kid.
You are basing your opinions purely on stats. You are painting a picture that doesn't reflect the way he plays at all but rather the way that you believe a player with his stats would perform.

His skating is currently still a weakness but not enough to keep him out of the NHL as it is adequate for the style of play that he employs. That style of play by the way is not a dman who controls the game but a rugged defender who has some offensive ability and a great shot. In order to make it in the NHL he will have to eliminate most of the risky play that he attempts as he just isn't skilled enough to pull it off at the next level. I personally would compare him to Johnny Boychuk of the Bruins.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote