View Single Post
Old
09-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Sorinth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathronas View Post
And that is where we differ. I think we are like the Capitals a few year back. A good season team but we're far from a perennial playoff contender. We are far from Boston, Chicago, L.A.

Let's have this discussion again in 3 years. I might hate Bergevin by then or you might actually praise him
The Capitals were considered contenders year in year out. I thought that was the plan be a top team year in and year out.

Washington couldn't seal the deal because they always relied on talented but inexperienced goaltending and defence. They also lacked some veterans with cup experience to help their young stars learn what it takes. Instead of addressing their needs they decided to wait for Alzner, Carlson, Varlamov, Neuvrith, Holtby to develop and fill them instead.

We are doing exactly what Washington did, wait for the young guys to develop in order to fill our needs. Washington needed a veteran top-4 shutdown defenceman just like we do now. They chose to wait for Alzner to develop into one, and never accomplished anything. Had they traded prospects/picks for one they would probably be cup champions now.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote