View Single Post
Old
09-20-2013, 06:06 PM
sandysan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Engelland and Carkner are terrible dmen. Both players are strictly goons and Engelland was a healthy scratch for more than half of Pittsburgh's playoff games. Care to take a guess which dman pushed Engelland off of the roster?

Murray is a smart dman much in the same way that Gill was for us. The most important asset for an NHL defenceman is his hockey sense and decision making. There is no comparison between 7th defenceman types like Engelland and Carkner with defensive stalwarts like Murray who has the body of work to back it up.

It would be even more foolish to commit 3 years to garbage like these two players. Murray is on a one year deal as is Bouillon and MB appears to have set the table to make room for prospects and/or acquire a defender that isn't a stop gap solution.
we dont need hall gill again. he was big ( and blocked shots like a demon) but soft. And murray could takes engellands time on the pens, but WE ARE NOT THE PENS. Context matters. If we are looking for a guy who can play tough, about 15 min +/- 3 clear the net who wont get exposed to the outside, I'd take engelland.

And even though engelland fights, he does not need to fight to do what we ask of him and he's 2 years younger and likely cheaper. I'm sure that eric karlsson was lamenting how " goonish" matt carkner was when boyle decided to take some liberties on EK in the playoffs.

I dont deny that murray might have more hockey smarts, but hockey smarts is not what we are looking for. we need guys to clear the net and be a physical presence. Are these guys ideal ? no.

sandysan is online now   Reply With Quote