View Single Post
09-20-2013, 11:44 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
Koivu's value to the organization and fanbase is more than a HoF vote; he was the inspiration of a decade of Habs faithful...his jersey should hang from the rafters of the Bell Centre the moment he hangs 'em up.
There are 41 ex Hab HOFers but there are only 18 retired numbers, every one of them are HOFers. There is not a single retired jersey that is not in the Hall.

It will be a sad day if the team bows to the acceptance of mediocrity from it's fanbase and drastically lowers it's standards to placate this new generation. The only player that is currently building a suitable resume is Subban and it is extremely early to even speculate on that.

I loved Koivu as a Hab and wanted us to draft him badly. I made sure I bought every edition of the Hockey News to follow his progression with TPS Turku. The year he came over , training camp was like Christmas for me to actually see him in a Habs jersey. Unfortunately if he wanted his jersey retired then he would have had to play for a pathetic Mickey Mouse organization in need of a publicity stunt to sell tickets. Part of the mystique about the Canadiens is the standard of excellence that has been set by former players.......I would be saddened to see this compromised as the rafters just wouldn't be the same with players that were merely good. I hope the team honours Koivu in some way but he doesn't deserve to have his jersey retired.

Estimated_Prophet is online now   Reply With Quote