View Single Post
Old
09-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Man crush much?
What does that have to do with anything I just wrote? Nothing. But yeah, guys like Koivu are hard to love as a fan...

Quote:
Some people have an issue facing reality, and will spin and spin and spin until they line things up the way they see fit.

Truth of the matter is the standards were set a long time ago, to loosen them now would be sacrilege in the eyes of many(myself included). I for one, am against it. Place him in the ring of honor, erect a statue to commemorate the most deserving Masterton trophy winner ever. Do not, however, tell me that he stands on his body of work, cancer aside, with this storied team's greats.
Considering how bad the team was over pretty much Koivu's entire tenure, and that it spans the entirety of the dead puck era, I think it's impressive how many of those "storied greats" are looking up at Koivu on the all-time scoring list. You don't have to be impressed. In fact, I'd expect you to actively speak out against those who ARE, as we're seeing.

Quote:
He was arguably the best player on really bad teams, does this warrant a number being retired? Where's all the hardware that the others have won? If you are from a generation where medals were awarded for participation perhaps he merits consideration. I for one don't think so.
Koivu represents blood, sweat and tears just as much as Clark did to Leafs fans - to every Habs fan outside Montreal who didn't wish he had a French last name, of course. And Clark has even less everything to show for it. Not saying that should get his jersey retired without debate. Just saying that makes him far more relevant than the afterthought you'd prefer to treat him as.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote