View Single Post
Old
09-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Adtar02

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
First, GAA is more of a teamstat than an individual one.
You judge goaltender by their SV%.

Second, Ray Emery played 21 games, Steve Mason played 20 games. Those are backup numbers and it's a lot harder to perform on a good level for 40, 50 maybe even 60 games.

Third, Ray Emery played behind what was arguably the best D in the NHL. Steve Mason played behind a D that supported the Vezina Trophy winner and didn't look doing so. His stats are greatly inflated by playing 6 more or less meaningless games with the Flyers in which he shined.

Combine that with the fact that both those guys will wear orange this season, it's pretty easy to get why people think we will allow 8 to 12 goals against on a nightly basis.
I believe we'll be fine.
Yeah I was trying to use the goals against column alone. I just looked up the stats. And they lead me to believe we should see an improvement. The funny this is emery only played in 4 less games than Anderson from the sens yet the gospel for him is a true start as well as bernier. By no means do I think we are a lock but I do believe we have to goalies whom should be able to play well in our attacking style due to their strengths. It was more a question of if I am being a blind homer or am I reading the stats correctly. I think it's hard to judge a shorten season because outliers have a great impact on the statistics.