View Single Post
Old
09-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunner View Post
Personally I don't care how the media perceives players. I have my own opinions based on what I see and generally on this forum I disagree with many peoples opinions to the point where I wonder how many ppl watch the games and have played hockey at a descent level, I come on here though because I do like to read opinions that are well described with good reasoning it's obvious that two people can see things differently and I think Patches is one of them.

Like I said I don't feel his playmaking abilities are strong but offensively he is gifted he is just not a playmaker it's not what RDS is saying its what I am seeing. He has great speed, shot and drives the outside very well.
I agree that it's not accurate to categorize him as a playmaker, it's not his primary strength, but my argument is directed towards your original stance, "Our best scoring forward Patches can't be a set up man he is flat out poor at it". It's one thing to say "I don't feel his playmaking abilities are strong" and entirely different to say "he is flat out poor at it".

Pacioretty's biggest weaknesses resides likely on the defensive/physical play side. Even then, in terms of defensive play, with his youth, size, and speed he can still improve/develop.

If I were to make the lines I'd break up Pacioretty-Desharnais in a heartbeat and go with:

Galchenyuk - Desharnais - Briere
Pacioretty - Eller - Gallagher
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta (Prust/Leblanc/Bournival/etc once Gionta gets injured)

This gives Pacioretty tougher D minutes BUT allows him to progress his game to being able to eventually matchup up against tougher offensive players. Furthermore, his playmaking can see more light/development as each player on this line is fairly versatile in terms of offensive skill/ability.

Desharnais maintains role as soft minutes player but this time Galchenyuk gets it too to develop offensively. Briere might be a good mentor for both.

Plekanec continues his unappreciated role of being the shutdown defensive forward.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote