Thread: Michael Ryder
View Single Post
Old
11-22-2006, 07:21 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
This is another facet where Ryder and Corson are very much alike. Difference here is that the idea is already in the team. We love Ryder when he plays like he did against the thrashers, we hate him in 5 others games, hes a concept more than a true "ace" in our assets.

Complimenting Kovalev is the last of my personal worries to be perfectly honest. Yes it would be great in the short run, fair enough, but, I'm thinking about someone young enough to give us 5-7 years. This team will become Komi-Higgins-Fischer-Price team very soon. Make a bid for Jordan Staal? Maybe. Pittsburgh needs wingers and we need a centerman. It could be a very Lindros-ish trade is size and cost, but in the end, thats probably what we need as a team to go over that "avg team-good" tag. Would you trade a package made of Ryder - Emelin - Chipchura for Staal? I know I would think about it, on both sides.
Again, I think we're talking about the idea of the player ? From what I've seen and read of Staal #3, he's a solid 2 way player, remarkably sound for a kid that age, but I don't know if he's projected to be 'the guy'. He's playing the wing, I believe right now. Is that where it's thought that he'll stay ? Pittsburgh will ride out the development of these guys though.

I believe that if the team can maintain a pace that should put them with 95-100 points if you a factor in a slump or 2, they won't do anything that may lessen this year's chances. At a point, knowing what Ryder is, is more important than hoping what Perez/Kostitsyn can do.
I still don't really buy into a Ryder/Corson comparison in truth. Corson was just a deal based on grit being valued over skill, and thinking he had enough skill to make it worthwhile. Ryder's a winger with good hands, has improved parts of his game, added some quickness, and has made himself valuable. He'll never be Bob Gainey in his own zone but he's not a problem in his own end. He doesn't play well off the rush and is best looking for openings off the forecheck. That's a weird role right now,because Latendresse looks to do the same thing, forcing Ryder into handling the puck more which isn't his game. I don't see any projection in evaluating his game, he's a decent scoring winger, he helps the team. I wouldn't be looking to move him unless something crazy came along.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote