View Single Post
Old
01-15-2004, 04:08 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

vCash: 500
Few reasons why it won't work: Richard is an UFA at the end of the season and I doubt the Thrashers will be able to re-sign him, much less give up a quality prospect in Santala for what would likely be a rental. That, and Richard will be re-signed by the Stars, he has been too important for us and with Numminen, Sweeney and Klemm being UFA's, it would leave a rather thin defense.

I also fail to see what Tjarnqvist would bring. We have several prospects whith simular capabilities, so aquiring him would be unnecessary. The fact that his brother is with the Stars organisation doesn't make it more realistic. Gainey isn't anything special either.. he's a defensive grinder, kinda like the Sloan's and Ruutu's. He doesn't carry much value but could be used as a decent throw in.

Santala is nice, but we already have Niko Kapanen at his spot. I do feel Santala has a greater offensive upside though so he might turn out to be a top 6 center but we might be looking at 2007 by the time that happens.. Once again, it depends on the what Stars chances are and what they would like to do with Matvichuk. Considering his salary and status (pending UFA) of Matty, Santala is the most valueble player in the deal so I don't think he will be dealt, much less for an UFA.

I think it's a balanced deal, and the fact that Miettinen and Santala thrived together makes it that much more interesting. I'm just not sure whether we can afford to lose yet another defenseman. It would leave us with only Zubov and Boucher as experienced blueliners. And as much as I like their potential, you can't let Daley and Erskine have the responsibility to carry the load as the 2nd defensive unit. As much as I would die to get my hands on Tommi, it would create a hole that would be impossibly to fill.

Is there any other way we could land Santala though? Cause if so, we will likely inquire about Soumervouri as well.