Thread: Prospect Info: Anthony Stolarz
View Single Post
Old
09-22-2013, 06:11 AM
flybynite77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I really don't know what else to say about Stolarz other than he's a legitimate blue chip goaltending prospect. He really turned heads at training camp this year and he's won over a lot of people in the Flyers camp in terms of him being the goaltender of the future.

It's clear that the Flyers aren't going to rush Stolarz and that he's going to benefit by spending a full year under the tutelage of Bill Dark. I saw the game last night and it's clear that Stolarz has really focused on the technical side of things and is really trying to fine tune his game. He's not relying on his athleticism as much to make routine saves. More importantly, he's really watching the play develop and he's letting the play come to him. He's slowing down things and he's more calm in his demeanor.

Now, I will say he made some spectacular stops last night and his athleticism was on display during those stops. However, he didn't rely on his athleticism, which he did quite often last year. He still has to work a bit on his puck handling skills, but it's getting much better.

I have high hopes for Stolarz. I haven't seen a goaltender come through the Flyers system with the athleticism and work ethic Stolarz brings. The only goalie from the Flyers history that I can remember who might have more natural talent than Stolarz would have been the late Pelle Lindbergh.
I really would love to see that when Stolarz turns pro and comes to the Flyers organization that the Flyers also bring Bill Dark with him. This team needs a significant upgrade at goaltending coach and I hope with Hexy as the AGM if not Bill Dark then he finds someone else out there to fill that role.

Goalies seem to be more raw coming into the league than they were 15-20 years ago. I'm not really sure what the reason for that is, but it does seem like there is much more development/handling needed for younger goalies.

flybynite77 is offline   Reply With Quote