Thread: Line Combos: 13/14 Power Play units
View Single Post
Old
09-22-2013, 08:41 AM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I wasn't making a case for Luke Schenn. He has no business being on the PP. At the end of the year when Meszaros and Coburnwent down, and Foster fell out of favor, Luke Schenn was playing the point on the 2nd PP a good bit. When Timonen missed those few games at the end of the year, they put Gustafsson in his spot on the first unit.

As far as being third in PP toi/g, is that really impressive amongst a group of offensive dynamos such as Bruno Gervais, Nicklas Grossmann, Oliver Lauridsen, Kurtis Foster, and the rest of the gang? You also have to consider the Flyers go with 4 forwards 95% of the time. But to play along, Matt Carle averaged a minute more of PP time than Gus (and his 25 game sample size) over 3 years as the third guy in the pecking order. All that said, Gustafsson managed a whole power play point last season. Hell in the World Championships I don't even think he was getting PP time on a team with 1 other NHL defenseman.

Regarding Gostisbehere, what do you expect the kid to say? He has a commitment and there was no formal contract offer. Everyone leaves this quote out as well: "I would definitely be tempted to sign" [if offered a contract]. The Flyers will have some pull at the end of the year if they want him to sign. The last thing they want is for his development to stagnate. He needs to be challenged. It's no coincidence that most NHL prospects, who go the college route, don't play their senior seasons.
No, I'm not overly impressed with Gus' play on the pp but as you pointed out yourself it's a small sample size and considering the Flyers won't have any better options unless something drastic happens he'll get pp time assuming of course Kimmo doesn't come back. I was merely pointing out that Schenn mostly definitely won't get pp time when Gus is available as you stated.

And as far as Ghost is concerned he needs to dominate college before we can talk about giving him a bigger challenge. In one years time if he tried to make the jump to the NHL he would get destroyed. There's a reason most d-man don't make the jump straight from juniors/college to the NHL.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote