Old
09-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
You're being very simple with this.

If an organization succeeds, it succeeds due to individual efforts coming together.

If an organization fails, it fails due to individual efforts failing to come together.

If one person is highlighted as the biggest problem in a failure, of course the individual is removed. But that doesn't mean only one person failed. It was still, and always is, a team effort.

When the goalie allows a goal, rarely was it a situation where the only failure was the goalie. Someone had to allow the opposing team puck possession, nobody stripped the puck, nobody defended the puck and then the goalie allowed it to go in. Collective failure. But if it's identified that someone missed their assignment on the ice or the goalie read the play poorly or a forward didn't hustle, you identify those issues.

Back to drafting, it's a team effort. You identify the problems when drafting is bad and remove them. That's why hardly anyone from the 2006 Entry Draft scouting team is still a part of the organization, though the one who is was identified as not the problem.
See and I believe you are very simple with this. Yes, a collective sport is a team effort. When a team play, it's often based on tons of things that went right or wrong so you are then able to name the team as the one responsible for it. Thing is, even amongst themselves, you hear Therrien speak and you often hear how he wished the goalie would have been better...how is defensive squad should have been more alert...and wonder why his top 6 offensive players didn't score more. But when it's time to evaluate, you do on an individual basis.

Back to drafting, it's not a team's effort. Reason why the 1998 draft, one of the best draft in Habs history could not be a proof that Réjean Houle wasn't as bad as GM as he really was 'cause in the end, he had nothing to do with it. Yes, let's take this year, the "idea" from the whole management was probably, like it was demanded by most of this fanbase for at least the last 10 years, to get bigger. Yet, finding the players and using the picks to get the right players is a scouting job. Going back to 2006, the head scout it's still the one who takes decisions. And keeping him was still the right move, not because that pick sucked, but because all and all, he's still amongst the ones who was the best in his position. Just like the 1st rounder in 2003 wasn't surely the right one....or like the 2004 draft....In the end, a GM will be judged based on the players' movements he makes from trades to signings. A coach for his system and how he handles his players, a scouting team based on how they scout and so on.....I don't see how it's bad to primarily target a certain group for a certain job to do. Yes, in the end, if everything goes great and you end up winning a Cup, it does become a team's effort. We all know that. But in between, people will be evaluated on their field of work. Nothing wrong with that. If in the end I learn that Patrice Brisebois's work with Darren Dietz changed totally Dietz as a player and improved him a whole lot...why can't I praise Brisebois? Yes, you can add Bergevin with the idea that he's the one who believed in having more people on board compared to Gainey and Gauthier. No problem with that. But there's no need to include everybody when I know that the main target of this praise by a player is one man. When we learned that Sylvain Lefebvre might not be doing that great of a job last year....who was targeted for it? Lefebvre immensely and Bergevin for thinking of him in the first place....but did anybody thought of bashing the entire organization for the move?

I think that frankly, we are still able to recognize a team's effort when we see it. We all know that everybody talks to each other. But we do know that one is in charge in his own field of expertise. And in the end, like in every business, he is the one who gets the praise and the bashing. People who are under the radar get their own set of praise and bashing but from their very own boss. And in the very end, when things did go very well or very bad, most likely everybody will get their share. But in sport, it will always be the same who will eventually be targeted. If we don't progress, Larry Carrière will not get as much heat as Bergevin will.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 09-22-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote