View Single Post
09-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Blue Blooded
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by stonedge View Post
I could see Hank's save % dipping. AV mobilizes his defense and it lead to more odd man rushes against than for pretty much every night for a few seasons. Luongo and Schneider were left exposed very often. I see the 2 d corps being quite similar although the nucks being a few years older now.

That being said, with Vigneault liking players to play a defined role, who gets the bulk of the O-zone starts from the Dmen?
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I dunno, seems like the Rangers managed to give up a lot of odd man rushes or breakaways even under Torts. I'd be interested in seeing stats on that compared to other teams in the league (like Vancouver)

e: good question on the defensemen, I feel like he wants to bring out more offense in McDonagh, but still might see Staal and Del Zotto getting more O zone starts.
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Might end up with a few more odd man rushes against but he'll also see more of the shots from the points.
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
Being passive in the defensive zone was one of our downfalls under Torts. Being more aggressive in our zone will help keep the point men from killing us (Krug).
Tyler Dellow posted a study on 2013 shot blocking yesterday which had an interesting observation regarding the Rangers.

The Rangers blocked the highest percentage of shot attempts in the league, hardly surprising.

However, they were below average at blocking shots from opposing defencemen (low-% shots, ~4% of those that hit the target go in) but by far the best at blocking shots from forwards (high-% shots).

So while I'm happy to see the strategy go as it destroyed our transition game, it probably boosted Hank's Sv% by shifting the ratio between high- and low-% shots to the lower end.