View Single Post
Old
09-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Jonathan- I get how you are thinking, and you could definitely be right in the end because Andersson is no matter nothing but a long shot, but I think you are underrating the 2nd tier league.

This is not 100% updated numbers, but money is everything here in Europe and a year or two ago the three highest spending teams in the Swedish 2nd tier league would have been 2-4 in terms of budget in the top Finnish league. Oliver Ekman-Larsson played in the 2nd tier league and made the jump directly to the NHL for example. Guys like Kopitar, Bobby Ryan and several other NHL stars played there during the lockout and definitly faced tough competition. To put it like this, an all-star team from the WHL, OHL or QMJHL would -- not -- hold their own at that level. An AHL team would be top 6 but defintiely no guarantee to be top 3. There are 12 teams in the SHL and if you have a bad year you are relegated, the last years big money teams has been relegated and the level down there has become quite high.

Calle Andersson is a good player, he dominated at our rookie camp last summer and has already played a full season in the SHL, and, more importantly, he is a big kid who has yet to grow into his body. He has some raw edges. Unless he develops really well over the coming 2-3 years, he won't make it to the NHL.

But I think he still can be considered as a decent prospect. Last year was good, he played at a really high level for a 18 y/o D.

This year he can still make the Swedish WJC-team. Its not optimal if he doesn't, but maybe not the end for him either.