View Single Post
Old
09-23-2013, 11:52 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Why wasn't this an issue with the oh-so many other RFA's Sather has signed over the years?

3.2 is squeezing? For a player who's had a 1/2 season of 1C production and isn't arbitration eligible?

The Mercs have paid their dues. They're ****ing entitled to the overpayment necessary to sign them. Stepan hasn't done **** to ask for a penny over 3M.

Sign the bridge deal. Perform. Get your payday.
For me it has always been an issue. It was an issue with Callahan, Dubinsky and to a lesser extent Anisimov. I have stated time and again that while I understand why Sather has done this, I'm of the belief that just because you CAN, doesn't mean that you SHOULD.

And while I would agree that the mercs have paid their dues, they have done so with other organizations, I could are less what they have done for OTHER teams. Aside from Gaborik, the reputation of the Rangers being a destination of where mercs come to retire is not erased by one UFA signing.

Stepan has out-performed the contract he had. He's gotten better and better for three straight seasons (no sophmore slump).

He's going to be the teams #1 center, if there is a case to be made for bucking the trend of bridge deals this one is it.

The ONLY reason Stepan hasn't been signed for more than 4 per (because HE'S MORE THAN EARNED THAT) is due to the CBA. The Rangers are not bound to tighten the purse strings here. They are making a concious decision here to say that while we know that you deserve more, under the terms of the CBA we are not obligated to pay you more therefore take this and shut up.

I think it's a screwed up way to treat the home grown players. players that have made their bones with other organizations get better treatment than the home grown guys and I find that more than a little f'ked up

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote