View Single Post
Old
09-23-2013, 02:01 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Both deserve their fair shot at the starter role but with Laviolette coming out and saying today that "both will be used A LOT" this season sort of scares me.

The team in front of the goalie needs to feel confident and assured that if and when a mistake occurs, there's going to be someone reliable to correct it. This hasn't been the case for quite some time which we all know played a large role in our defensive side of the game.

With yet another season underway with goalie uncertainty, I still don't see how the highest paid D-core in the league will end up playing/looking like it. Some say this is largely due to Laviolette's system and not having the proper personnel to carry it out and execute. I think that holds some water, but I still think it's a mental thing with uncertainty behind them every game.

Does anyone else feel Laviolette while basically being forced to run a battle of the goalie circus should perhaps think about naming a #1 starter officially, and then let the season play out as it goes? I know everyone is of the belief that having a 1a, 1b can create healthy competition while also getting the very best out of your goalies. I just don't know if that's what this team is really missing though. I think the fans, media, and general recent history of the Flyers is motivation enough for one of these guys to emerge and perform at a #1 goalie level.

Not knowing who your goalie is going to be on a night in and night out basis has got to be a little unnerving. I know other teams in the league have done just fine with this, but I don't think those situations really apply to what the Flyers have gone through over the years.

Above all else, I just want certainty. Whether it's from Mason or Emery, I don't care, but having yet another revolving door of goalies just spells nightmare to me again. We've seen it too much.
I'm not holding my breath with either of them but at least we're not locked in long term on both counts but we still need one of them to grab the bull by the horns and become the number 1 especially going into the playoffs if they make it.

I do think it's going to be dicey for Lavi in how he handles the both of them. I still have more doubts about Lavi and his system than I do Mason and Emery believe or not. Lavi has better personnel this year to implement his system but I still think we'll struggle against hard checking teams although not as much.

Nonethless, so far both Emery and Mason have said all the right things but we obviously need at least one of them to do the right things if we are going to make the playoffs.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote