View Single Post
Old
09-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Judge Walt by the sum of his actions and yeah, he's done some muthaf***n evil stuff. But in the complicated head of Walter White, it's always about devising a strategy to get from here to there without hurting anyone. But of course, the dramatic nexus of the show is that something screws up, a situation comes to a head and someone gets hurt, leaving Walt to say, once again, "We can't change what's happened, so let's move on!"

Walt's not fundamentally evil, he's a control-freak who's in denial that he can't control everything. He didn't kill the kid, he gave him a carefully controlled illness ("Look Jesse -- he's alive! He's fine!"). As far as Jane, my memory is that he didn't kill her, he just controlled the situation by not saving her (though truthfully, I don't remember his involvement in that scene very clearly). When it all came to a head last week, Walt took a desperate stab at controlling the situation by giving away everything he'd worked for in order to save Hank. Given the choice between saving all his money and saving a life, he chose life.

There's an exception: that episode where Walt put out a multiple hit on Mike's guys in prison was pretty evil, I admit, even if they were anonymous criminals.

But overall I think Vince Gilligan has taken great pains to make Walter White a study in contradiction, not outright evil. That's why we're still rooting for Walt to win even after five seasons of destruction, because we took the journey with him from naive wimp to Heisenberg, and we still see the committed family guy inside the Meth-Lord.

Well, at least I'm still rooting for him (though I'm not sure what's left to win). Maybe the rest of you moral guys are hoping for Jesse to knock him off.
Walter cares about his family, that's it, that's all. In no way does this make him any lesser evil. There are psychopaths that care about their families too.

He's selfish, egotistical, sad, depressed, unhappy man, who also happens to be in a midlife crisis as he gets cancer.
Every decision he takes since getting it worsens his life. Every single one. Many of them are conscious decisions.

You can't say that you're gonna push someone, after doing it, that person takes out a gun, so you take out your gun and shoot him, then claim that it's all the other guy's fault.

You're right, he's often stuck in a corner, but most of the time it's because he put himself there.
His ego always gets the best out of him. Always.

You sympathize with Walter because the show is based around him. Nobody is evil 24/7. So you see how all he wants is to provide for his family. It's constantly reminded to you that he's doing this for his family as it is talked about and they're present in every show. That doesn't make him less evil.
Just like people actually like Tony Soprano.
It's all about the image they wan to portray. They want to show that Walter is a family guy, and they do it very well, but the guy is still evil.