View Single Post
Old
09-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Drewbackatu*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
3 straight season never missed a game, improved in each of them?

When was the last time the Rangers had a franchise goalie, their captain and top minute eating defender along with 8 or so other players to resign or replace the following season?

Up until this point I agree, I've agreed with all the times they've used their leverage before and I'll probably agree when they do so with other future players. In this case I think they messed it up. Playing the leverage game with Del Zotto, Dubinsky, is a bit different than doing it with Stepan and especially this year when they could have saved some future cap money by just signing him long term while the cap is artificially set low.
Why should Stepan be treated any differently than the others? The point people aren't bringing up is that while his production has been good and his game has grown in 3 years, he still hasn't proven that he can produce in the playoffs when the checking is tighter, the space is less and the game is way more physical. Fourteen(14) points in thirty seven(37) career playoff games doesn't equate in any way, shape or form to a longterm contract at 5 mil AAV, not when a player like Tavares who is 100 times better than Stepan is playing for 5 mil for the next 6 years.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote