Thread: Michael Ryder
View Single Post
Old
11-23-2006, 02:59 AM
LesHabsRock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
No, I agree with you. One of the many reasons I keep posting is that the makeup of teams is interesting to me. You need a lot of different qualities and few players posess all of them. Serge Savard spoke about teams and roles quite well last Satyrday I thought.

If I'm drafting, I take Koivu before Ryder, Thornton before Cheechoo and down the line if you look at setup man/shooter. I'm not sure it means I like the playmaker more, but it seems that the more complete players play C. I believe the team needs more players that don't have a 'but' after their scouting report, a complete package. I'm not sure which way to get 'the guy' is best, that's all.

Discussing Ryder as an asset is valid, that's what we're doing. Posters must respect the player if they feel he can get a good return. Dismissing him as just a guy who can shoot but doesn't really do much gets tiresome . Note that we're having a civil exchange on something that we disagree on, nice for a change isn't it ?

McPhee, I'll have to agree with your assessment on Ryder, in that, he is more valuable to Montreal right now than a player with "potential".

The fact of the matter is that regardless of how Ryder has done it, he is a 30 goal scorer and has proven it. How many players on this team in recent history have done it? Zednik did it once, but Ryder's progress made Zednik expendable. Can Chris Higgins make Ryder expendable? That's the question. Higgins has the potential to be that 30 goal man and then some. Until that happens Ryder is a proven 25-30 goal scorer which Montreal doesn't have right now. Ryder has 5 goals in 20 games. At that pace he'll score 20 goals. Let's say Ryder scores 8 more goals in the next 20 games. Now, you can say he's closer to the 30 goal mark.

To trade Ryder and "hope" that Perezhogin, Kostisyn and the likes can score 25-30 goals is not what we want to do at this time. Ryder is a finisher and when game number 82 passes by I'm certain you'll see Ryder with 25-30 goals once again.

I mentioned in a previous thread that Ryder has shown progress this year in his speed and skating. I also mentioned Carboneau using him on the PK which was unheard of before. You can't teach defense, but you can teach offense. Who better to help Ryder with his defensive game than Carbonneua, Muller and Jarvis. And Ryder isn't that bad in that regard anyways.

Last edited by LesHabsRock: 11-23-2006 at 03:02 PM.
LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote