View Single Post
Old
09-24-2013, 09:20 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Regarding Kreider, can someone who has watched him more at lower levels explain why he averaged around 1.5 PIM per game in BC and then in Hartford. What I'm wondering, specifically, is if he's much more physically engaged at those levels. He took 3 penalties in 23 games in the NHL last year. It's a significant enough difference to wonder what's up.
I wrote this back in June. Don't know how much truth there is too it, but it's the only thing I can come up with:

Quote:
Kreider has taken a lot of penalties at lower levels. His last year of college, he took 36 minors in 44 games. Of the 36 penalties, 4 were for hitting after the whistle, 4 for boarding, 3 for roughing and 1 for hitting from behind. Another 11 were for tripping (5 in one game lol). How many of those were called because he bumped a smaller player and the player fell down?

I think he's a little gun-shy, so to speak, and playing for Torts probably didn't help in that regard. But I think his hitting will pick up more as he gets more comfortable.
I think we've just got to give him time and see what happens. He may end up being more Gaborik (style-wise) than Lucic. He's done some good things, but yes, I'd like to see him be more physical and carry the puck more.