View Single Post
Old
09-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Calling him 'evil' is too black-and... um... white for me. Walter White had no idea what he was getting himself into and became a product of his considerable survival instincts. It wasn't like he entered into the drug world thinking, "I'm prepared to kill people". He was totally naive to the violent path he was walking. Once he gained traction in that domain, yes, his ego kicked in big-time, and he became comfortable using violence as a tool of the trade. But that doesn't make him any more evil than Mike, Saul or Jesse, all of whom regretted violence but employed it anyway. Mike killed plenty of folks, Saul was happy to provide the personnel and Jesse shot his share of people, too. Conscious acts of evil. Walt isn't more evil than them, or Tony Soprano, or the entire cast of Game of Thrones for that matter. Walt is just really good at it.

The best characters often do evil without ever actually becoming evil. The characters from Game of Thrones have offed more people than Walter White, but in that context it seems appropriate. We accept good-guys like Rob or Ned or Calissee beheading people because that's how the moral code works in that context. Walt's no different than them; he's figured out how to survive the moral code of the drug world by doing what's necessary. But that doesn't mean he enjoys doing evil. He's no good-guy, but he's no sadist, nor is anywhere close to the cold-blooded cipher of Todd. As you said, Walt is mostly sad, unhappy and regretful -- hardly the emotional makeup of evil.

For me, Walt's character represents a great philosophical question: How much do you define a person by the intentions versus the results? There's really no right answer, but it's a cool question.
On Game of Thrones , the violence is at times over-the-top. It makes Tarantino look PG-13 by comparison .

In fact I've noticed 3 activities that the show cycles through almost like the writing is on a loop.

1) fight scenes with beheadings/violent slashing

2) scenes with head-to-toe female nudity

3) people pouring wine/drinking wine/ordering more wine

Take these activities out of any episode and it would be 3 minutes long . Lol.