View Single Post
Old
11-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Heat McManus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Galvin View Post
I'm an intermediate skater. For some time I had my blades at 1/2 and after awhile it began to feel and little too "grippy" I guess. Then I have had them sharpened at 5/8 which is the next above 1/2 correct? The first few times they felt like what I was going for and now the last two they just don't feel right almost lilke they haven't been sharpened. The guy asked me last time why I would want them sharpened at 5/8 if I actually played, he mentioned a lot of refs do the 5/8. I guess what I'm asking is 5/8 the next step in the sharpening level after 1/2? If it is then maybe I should be looking at t blades for a more consistent sharpen? Don't know, but I'm a little frustrated at the moment. Thanks

A lot of players also use 5/8. Paul Coffey used an even shallower hollow and he did pretty well.

I found that when I was using 5/8 i needed to dig in more. Also, they felt like they lost their edges quicker (luckily I worked in the shop and was able to sharpen them whenever I needed).

Were you skating on the same ice each time? If the ice is very hard it can be a little more difficult using 5/8.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote