Thread: News Article: Bergevin interview on 98.5
View Single Post
09-25-2013, 06:10 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The thing is Hossa has a cap hit of only 250K more than Brian Gionta and Tomas Plekanec.
Chicago despite having Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Seabrook and Keith, and having just won the cup, still has more cap space than us. The main reason for this is they have a bunch of players signed to long term front loaded deals that aren't possible anymore. I mean, only two of those guys have cap hits of over 6M, and it's only by 300K, can you believe this?

If you want to sign Marian Hossa today, or next summer, or any time under this new CBA, then expect to dish out a lot more cash. Expect his cap hit to be around 8M+, not 5. That's why when you have a chance to sign a player like Subban to a cheap long term deal at an earlier stage of his career, you do it. Market prices have gone up big time with the 6-8 year limit and salary difference between the first and last year of contracts. Saving from RFAs over longer periods of time is that much more important under the new CBA. Some people still don't understand this, I'm not sure Bergevin gets it either after his negotiation with PK.
Hurry send your cv to Molson! I want the cup next year and you will so it!

Btw, Subban was a risk that MB didn't want to take.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote