Thread: Trading Conroy
View Single Post
Old
01-15-2004, 11:52 AM
Badger Bob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
I'm thinking that (if budgets allow) we'll probably keep Conroy as our own 'rentaplayer' (like Marchant in Edm last year) unless we got a mindboggling trade offer
Might've said more or less the same thing once or twice over the months myself. Nobody's going to offer anything mind-boggling, even though it wouldn't be a huge surprise to see him in a Devils uniform at some future date. For some reason or another, doofy trade proposals keep popping up in reference to Conroy. Why would the Flames want to trade him, unless they were out the deadline?

The main reason another team would want him would be to perform in exactly the same role he would, if he remained in Calgary. He also has the right attitude, and would definitely elevate his game under playoff pressure (i.e Selke-caliber). Our own "Rent a Player" is the perfect analogy. He'll be returning from injury at just the right time, and adds depth up the middle. A few of the Western teams might not be ecstatic about the prospect of facing the a healthy lineup including both Yelle & Conroy. This neutralizes the other's teams scoring lines dramatically, and opens up the ice for Iginla & Donavan.