View Single Post
Old
09-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Clown Baby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swic21 View Post
Our defense is fine on paper, it's this horrible system they play in. You can't tell me a top 6 of Timonen, Coburn, Mesz, Grossmann, Schenn, Streit should be this bad. No way. A new system is needed and it's obvious at this point.
Those are some pretty impressive names, if we take what you said at face value.

Timonen is 38. There's only so much he can do.

Streit is 36, average defensively, and to be honest with you I question his drive. He could have stayed with the Islanders for less. They made the playoffs last season, and did pretty well all things considered. Instead, he went to the highest bidder, and Holmgren was right there waiting for him with a guaranteed 20 million dollar contract. Not Streit's fault, but it is the nature of the beast, and he is content.

Coburn and Mez are so far gone from where they were it's not even funny. If these last two years are any indication, it's to the point they need to be sheltered, and Holmgren hasn't been able to find the horses to carry them. Again, it's not the players' faults for being in the situation they're in; their limitations are clear as day, at this point in their careers, and it's up to the general manager to recognize as much.

Grossmann and Schenn are both stay-at-home D. They're limited in how much they can support the play. Timonen and Schenn look like a good pairing, but Grossmann severely needs somebody to help him back there. Maybe Gustafsson will be that guy, and surprise the lot of us. There will be bumps until he proves he's legit, though.

What I ultimately see is a defensive group that's really underwhelming. It's not that they're necessarily underperforming. They're playing about as well as I'd expect after so much time off. Having said that, the defensive struggles are a culmination of an owner's restlessness, a general manager's repeated gambles, and an organization's inability to develop THE SINGLE MOST VALUABLE position in the game from within (defense).

It is what it is (until Gus, Ghost, Morin, and Hagg prove themselves.)

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote