View Single Post
Old
09-28-2013, 01:15 AM
Dundalis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I don't know if he has the passing/vision or shot to be "elite" if defensemen start forcing him to cut into the middle.

Paajarvi looked unstoppable flying down the wing and cutting to the net early in his rookie year, but eventually defensemen overplayed him wide and he became useless offensively more or less. Nichushkin definitely has tools that Paajarvi doesn't, so I wouldn't expect him to fall as far as Paajarvi did though.

Don't get me wrong. I think he'll be a solid top 6 guy(more than likely a 1st liner), but I don't think I'd be comfortable throwing the word "elite" around with him just yet.
Is Rick Nash a mere solid top 6 guy? He has all the tools to achieve that type of ceiling. There is perhaps no one in the league with the size-speed combo this kid has.

He also does something similar to what Jagr made a career out of, and what Nash also does well, and that is use his massive frame, balance and long stick to protect the puck which will make him a puck possession monster. But there are things that simply get refined as he gets older and more experienced. He'll learn what works and what doesn't. He'll also only put on more bulk and get stronger while also getting faster and more explosive. The tools he has to work with are rare. The other players in the league that have or come close to having those tools are pretty much all elite players.