View Single Post
09-28-2013, 03:32 PM
HFB Partner
vCash: 50
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Are we talking about closers or bullpens as a whole here? Every piece of evidence you're using is specifically about closers.

Look, a great closer is very valuable. Nobody's arguing otherwise. But a great closer doesn't make up for a mediocre rotation or a lousy offense. For a closer to be valuable you have to be in the game late. And even then the closer isn't throwing more than a few innings if that. By design they have a limited role. That's why Rivera had what was by far his best season when he wasn't even the ninth inning guy. More innings mean more value and there's a very good case to be made that your relief ace should be saved not for the ninth, but for whenever in the late innings the game is on the line.

Again, Rivera's the greatest ever at his role and a first ballot Hall of Famer. I like him a lot even as somebody who hates his team's guts. But that doesn't change the fact that people are way, way, way overestimating the impact a closer can have on a game.
Regardless of the debate of how important a closer is. I don't think that's the point. Nobody is overestimating the impact of Mariano Rivera as a closer.

It's the impact of a man who has been a model of sportsmanship. We as Rangers fans see how Adam Graves is revered mostly because the guy's a saint off the ice. We also revere Mark Messier as one of the best to ever play. Imagine Mariano Rivera as both and you can understand why this was such a big deal.

I've heard alot of fans saying they don't quite get this whole thing, but his peers around the majors who got to play with him and got to know him are kissing the ground he walks on. He's gotta be doing something right.