View Single Post
Old
09-29-2013, 03:47 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
I write this almost apologetically, I have watched 6 episodes of The Wire and I am not getting what drives such admiration and devotion to the series. It's got an insane 9.4 rating in IMDB which means that I am in the company of about 5 other people on the planet who aren't into it.

To me it's a plodding story with unlikeable characters and poor writing. Writers Guild rates it in it's top 10 of all time, but with every third word being "fck" the dialogue seems lazy to me. Keep in mind I've had some recent time on my hands and have rolled through BB, , Homeland, Game of Thrones, The Newsroom, and House of Cards and so maybe I've set the bar too high.

In any case I may regret these words, some user reviews in IMDB did warn that the initial 6 episodes or more set the table for what then took off as a great series. And members here haven't really steered me wrong yet. I think I will be patient but it's discouraging at the outset.

And honestly I'd like to punch out Mcnulty with his own fists. He's an insubordinate a-hole with no likeability. And if it's a series built on it's "realistic portrayal" of police work it's got a way to go. Drug raids are not typically done in the middle of the day with police sirens and shouting cops giving everyone notice and time to flee. Cops don't meet with judges to consult on cases. When does "realistic" kick in?

Please someone assure me it gets better.