View Single Post
Old
09-29-2013, 06:16 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
BTW, if the Pens had lost every year in the finals (or even had a finals loss and an ECF loss to show for the last four years), then I think a lot of people, starting with me, would feel a lot less disgusted with the last four years. BUT, again, one ECF in which you get swept, the close call against the Isles and a pair of wins against the Sens (once when they were injury depleted) only to show as wins for the last four years . . . sorry, your 'well, it doesn't really matter since only winning the cup matters' argument doesn't pass the smell test.
If you expect to be in 3 cup finals and 1 ECF every 6 years, then you are going to be disappointed an awful lot. Its just not a realistic expectation. I'm disappointed that we haven't done better. The worst was clearly the circus that was the Philly series, but getting swept by Boston really stings too.

I said it last night, we SHOULD have a few more wins and probably an extra series win or two. We should have beaten Montreal. We should have won a game or two against Boston and an extra game or two against Philly and probably taken the series. We have messed up enough to give away that much. Another finals appearance? We could have, but other teams have been good enough every year to deserve those appearances too. We have never been a strong enough favorite that anything short of the finals was underachieving. Disappointing as a fan? Sure. But you're talking about being disgusted with the team. That's a fine word for the Philly series. Hell, I can understand it for getting swept by Boston even. But some of you are talking like anything short of the finals every other season is disgusting and excessive underachievement. Its not. Its unreasonable expectations.

I am disappointed with our recent lack of success and would have been disappointed if I had taken your time machine test. That doesn't make the negative reactions of some around here any less over the top. Or the positive responses by others just as over the top. There are some here who if you did your time machine test and just said "in 2013 we haven't won a Cup since 2009" who would say its embarrassing. And those people are ridiculous.

ps: there was no close call against the Isles. We won in 6. It happens.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 09-29-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote