View Single Post
Old
09-29-2013, 08:15 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Not saying Briere is the best forward ever not to win a Cup. He is however MONEY in the playoffs. He is better at all aspects of the game in the pressure of the playoffs. Even in the regular season vs. My Sens, when he is challenged physically and "woken up", he literally takes over games, plays with a fiesty edge, goes in the tough spots on the ice. In the playoffs he is always "awake". Reminds me of Doug Gilmour in the playoffs, at least in the oppositions end. Briere is a very underrated player overall. Montreal will not regret signing him. He left both Buffalo and Philly due to $$$ and Cap reasons, not because the team (or it's fan base) did not want him.

If Bourque had not gone to the Avs it would be him. Howe and Propp were huge in Philly. I did not watch Ulman but arguments here have a ton of merit. Park has to be strongly considered. Neely was a force of nature in the playoffs on Boston..... But not the most playoff games. So many worthy candidates that I won't pick one.
Briere is definitely money when it comes to scoring in the playoffs, but he's pretty much guaranteed to give it up the other way too. I don't know if I ever saw anyone cherrypick as much in the playoffs as I saw Briere doing when the Devils played the Flyers in 2012. Sometimes it would work and Briere would score a beautiful breakaway goal. And sometimes he'd just be circling the ice uselessly as the Devils scored.

And it's not just that one series. Yes, Briere is 2nd to Henrik Zetterberg in points scored since the 2005 lockout in the playoffs with 106. But despite all those points, he's -5. Now, I don't think you can tell anything from plus/minus on it's own, but it's worth noting that Briere has spent basically that entire stretch being sheltered from the opposition's best players as Drury, then Richards, then Giroux/Couturier, took the tough defensive assignments, yet he's still -5.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote