Thread: News Article: Trade in works for Flyers?
View Single Post
Old
09-29-2013, 09:12 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
57 of his 60 regular season games came in the past two years. He also had 7 playoff games two years ago, combined that's a little less then 50 percent of the Flyers games in the past two years. It's not nearly enough to say what he is but yes in each stint he started off slow but got better and consequently saw his ice time increased. Even two years ago before his wrist injury Lavi was giving him close to 20 minutes a night, last year he finished the season averaging 20 a night. The more he plays, the better he plays it seems. You don't need 100's of games to notice the trend.

Btw as of late he hasn't gotten much love and there's nothing wrong with that. Most of the Gus "supporters" just want to see him get playing time to see what he'll become.
This seems to be the mindset of these boards when it comes to Gus, but not when it comes to other players. He's played 60 games (57 over the past two years). So let's just call it 30 a season. In two 30 game seasons he has started slow but finished strong. You are going to tell me that two 30 game seasons, where he has started slow but finished strong, is enough to tell you that the more he plays the better he gets? And if I said that about some random guy on the Rangers or Penguins, you would agree that two 30 game seasons is enough to tell that a guy should be given more time because he finished those two 30 game seasons strong? I find that hard to believe.

I'm not knocking the guy at all and saying he'll never amount to anything. All I'm saying is he has proven nothing at all, and simply giving him more time is not something I would do for a kid that was not a very highly touted player coming out of college, that the team doesn't have a lot invested in, and hasn't shown that he can be that player just to see if he will get better. If he plays well and they put him the starting lineup, great. But just sticking him out there to see if he can play well over an 82 game season isn't great "asset management" as you guys like to call it. Don't force it based on two strong finishes in two 30 game seasons.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote