Thread: News Article: Trade in works for Flyers?
View Single Post
Old
09-29-2013, 10:39 AM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
This seems to be the mindset of these boards when it comes to Gus, but not when it comes to other players. He's played 60 games (57 over the past two years). So let's just call it 30 a season. In two 30 game seasons he has started slow but finished strong. You are going to tell me that two 30 game seasons, where he has started slow but finished strong, is enough to tell you that the more he plays the better he gets? And if I said that about some random guy on the Rangers or Penguins, you would agree that two 30 game seasons is enough to tell that a guy should be given more time because he finished those two 30 game seasons strong? I find that hard to believe.

I'm not knocking the guy at all and saying he'll never amount to anything. All I'm saying is he has proven nothing at all, and simply giving him more time is not something I would do for a kid that was not a very highly touted player coming out of college, that the team doesn't have a lot invested in, and hasn't shown that he can be that player just to see if he will get better. If he plays well and they put him the starting lineup, great. But just sticking him out there to see if he can play well over an 82 game season isn't great "asset management" as you guys like to call it. Don't force it based on two strong finishes in two 30 game seasons.
Name a player in a similar situation that guys on here haven't been as lenient with.

As I said it's not a lot of time but in his short period here he's shown he's got some skill and can play at this level in some capacity. Like most other players entering the league he has some consistency issues, only time will tell what kind of player he's gonna be. You can't expect people to "prove" their worth when they haven't had the opportunity to play much (injuries/on a team crowded with vets).

I don't understand why people wanting to know what he could do by giving him more playing time is a bad thing. Especially considering the team current situation with cap space and the only alternative to Gus being Mez who's been worse this preseason and has a 4 mil cap hit.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote