Thread: News Article: Trade in works for Flyers?
View Single Post
Old
09-29-2013, 10:57 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Name a player in a similar situation that guys on here haven't been as lenient with.
Off the top of my head I can't think of any, most likely because a guy who plays average over a three year 60 game NHL career on any other team would never be discussed on this board. Haha. Just my speculation that if Gus was on another team, or there was another player in a similar situation that the Penguins or Rangers board were talking about, many of those praising Gus would be calling those people crazy because the guy hasn't really shown too much in a very small sample size, but people are calling him a top four defender.

Quote:
As I said it's not a lot of time but in his short period here he's shown he's got some skill and can play at this level in some capacity. Like most other players entering the league he has some consistency issues, only time will tell what kind of player he's gonna be. You can't expect people to "prove" their worth when they haven't had the opportunity to play much (injuries/on a team crowded with vets).
Oh absolutely. And I am not saying Gus sucks and shouldn't be taken seriously. All I am saying is that on this team, there are better options. I'm not going to play Gus because in parts of parts of two season he looked pretty decent. Just like I wouldn't play Eric Wellwood to see what he could become just because he looked pretty good. You play the guy who earns the spot, not the guy who might earn the spot if you give him the chance. You probably think that those 60 games over two years earned him the spot, that seems to be where I differ with everyone else. I don't think he earned anything. Did he show some promise? Sure. But that doesn't earn you a spot.

Quote:
I don't understand why people wanting to know what he could do by giving him more playing time is a bad thing. Especially considering the team current situation with cap space and the only alternative to Gus being Mez who's been worse this preseason and has a 4 mil cap hit.
Again, cap hits don't matter if they are already on the team and they fit under the cap. And again, IMO, you don't play guys at the NHL just to see if they can succeed. I guess if you are in a rebuild you do that, but I don't see this team as a rebuild. I think they have a shot at the playoffs.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote