View Single Post
Old
09-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
I think the scouting staff is more to blame here than the GM. GMs have the final call but they rarely scout the players themselves, they base their opinions on what they're told by their head scout. The only case you can make is that he could have done a better job for them to develop but even then every prospect is different so there's no right formula.
I once made the statement that I'd rather have Scott Howson as a GM than Dale Tallon, so I'll add my two cents in here.

In my (never humble) opinion, the GM sets the parameters for what the team will be drafting and with what priority. In Columbus, the scouting staff was basically unchanged from Doug MacLean (pathetically bad at drafting) to Howson (much better, with a lot of late-round picks on the NHL roster). Simple deduction would indicate that the change from one to the next was what the focus would be on.

If Chicago's scouting staff was largely unchanged from Smith and Pulford to Tallon but the actual drafting itself took a huge hit, it would stand to reason that the GM failed in some major way. The GM is the one who has to stand up and say "this is what we're looking for" or "this is what we're going to avoid". Tallon's drafting looked like Chicago's version of what we had with MacLean: a big premium placed on size at the expense of vision and IQ.

Tallon came into a job that had a lot of good young talent on the roster and in the farm system; his only job was to pick up a couple of scorers (which he couldn't have missed on in 2006 and 2007 if he tried) and mail guys their qualifying offers on time and in the specified manner. If he was in charge of drafting before 2005, the Blackhawks would still be in the basement today.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote