View Single Post
Old
09-29-2013, 11:37 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
I guess you have talked about New Jerseys defensive system allready? Can you link me to a good reply about this, having trouble figuring that out for a long time.
I'm not sure what you want to know either?

How a Trap works in general or how the Devil's employed their version?

The first Trap employed regularily in the NHL was by Bowman with the Habs in the 70's. It however was a much more aggressive version than what you mainly see today. It was used in combination with a solid forecheck to put pressure on the puck carrier from Habs blueline out to the opposing goalline. The focus of that Trap was to cause turnovers and fuel quick counter attacks.

Lemaire, as we all know was one of Bowman's players on those Habs teams, took it and employed it in a much more conservative manner (although, it should be noted that Lemaire's Trap was not as conservative as other's we have seen, notably Hitchcock's and Guy Boucher's versions which greatly reduce the priority of the forecheck.)

Lemaire's version still left some priority on forechecking just not at the same level as Bowman had employed. Where the main difference was was that while Bowman's Trap was designed to cause turnovers for counter attacks, Lemaire's was designed to force the opposing team to willingly give up possession, force them to dump and chase. This combined with Brodeur's incredible puck handling skills made for a lethal combo.
It wasn't that the Devil's were supermen in their own zone, albeit they were quite good in this department, it was that gaining possession in their zone in the first place was incredibly tough.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote