View Single Post
Old
09-30-2013, 08:43 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
People shouldn't be pushing too hard for Beaulieu to make the jump to the NHL this season or next IMO. Giving Nathan the 1st pairing icetime he will receive in Hamilton for another two years, is the best thing the Habs can do for his career and for the team. He still needs to pack muscle onto his frame to compete with #1 lines in the NHL and players like Bobby Ryan & Milan Lucic, etc. will eat him up unless he's @ 210 lbs. or more.

I can see Beaulieu playing good defence given the coaching he's getting in Hamilton. In two years when his defensive play catches up to his offence, Nathan could have a career similar to Guy Lapointe. Lapointe was all offence when he first started with the Habs and became one of the Big Three alongside Serge Savard and Larry Robinson. When I say a similar career, I mean style wise both players being good skaters and offensively gifted.

The extra time in the AHL learning and gaining confidence in his defensive game, will be time well served. When he joins the Habs, there will already be veterans like PK Subban, Alex Emelin, Josh Gorges, Raphael Diaz and rock hard Jarred Tinordi with two seasons behind him.

Adding Beaulieu at the start of 2015/2016 season would be the wisest path for Nathan and the Habs, it would allow him 4 yrs. to mature properly. The experience gathered in those years with Lefebrve's coaching, leading the Bulldogs defence, would deliver a confident Beaulieu and a physically mature player too.

The Habs are going to have a great defence as long as they prepare their elite picks and don't rush them into the NHL, too many players and especially defencemen's careers are ruined by bringing them into the league prematurely.