View Single Post
Old
09-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Colby
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
Prospects like Tolchinsky are a dime a dozen. Sure he's talented, but he is undersized and Russian. I think he'll get physically dominated in the NHL and will be on a plane back to Russia the first chance he gets.
Why should his nationality play a role in how you evaluate the player? The fact that he's already in North America and has signed an ELC is also probably also a strong indication of his intentions.

Quote:
By then, a scout from the New York Rangers met up with Tolchinsky’s agents, Mark Gandler and Todd Diamond, and before the end of the draft, the two parties had an agreement that Tolchinsky would attend the team’s prospect orientation camp that week. On the bus back to the hotel, Tolchinsky received another invite to attend an orientation camp, this time from the Carolina Hurricanes in mid-July. Two months later, the Hurricanes committed. They pretty much had to. The Internet buzzed about Tolchinsky’s performance at the ‘Canes camp and local beat reporters raved.
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/0...ey-tolchinsky/

Tolchinsky had agreed to play for the Rangers in Traverse City but the Hurric¯ ÿanes upped the ante and decided that their limited viewings of him was worth of a three-year entry level contract and a spot on their reserve list.

In my opinion, it's too bad that he signed somewhere else because talent is talent. I give the Rangers credit for the process here, even if they didn't end up getting the result.