View Single Post
Old
09-30-2013, 04:49 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
If you really want to cherry pick, Niedermayer had almost exactly the same PPG as Leetch and Zubov (the "offensively elite"), and only about 7 points over 82 games away from the pace of guys like Blake, Gonchar, Bourque, Ozolinsh, and Housley while under Ftorek(/Robinson), leading up to the injuries, and the Devils were still a 100 point team with a Cup to show for it in the end.
Alright, I'll do PPG from 1995-'00 but I'll warn you, it makes Niedermayer look worse:

Leetch - 0.79
Lidstrom - 0.78
Ozolinch - 0.76
Bourque - 0.75
MacInnis - 0.69
20th Niedermayer - 0.54

I'll repeat, Niedermayer had the same PPG - a time when one has suggested he was "stepping up" - as Numminen. Nothing against Teppo, but he's never been a guy we've associated with being dangerous offensively.

An old Coffey and old Chelios an old Murphy all were noticeably higher. Blake - who still had good years outside of those ones - was clearly higher. Desjardins, a defenseman not likely to ever sniff the HHOF was noticeably better offensively at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen View Post
interesting.
compare the numbers of niedermayer in anaheim to lidstrom in detroit during the same time period and the difference in PPG is only .1 over a large sample size of games. pretty odd that niedermayer can go toe to toe with the best dman of his generation offensively, in his mid to late 30's once he changes teams
See, that's the thing he came around and cemented a HHOF place for himself. But what the point I am trying to make is that this wasn't always the case for him. It took him a long time to do this and I'm not sure why people have forgotten that already. Very much a revisionist history here. It took him until he was 30 to be an elite defenseman, no big deal, sometimes it takes a while to put things together, but make no mistake about it, he DID take that long. While Chara didn't.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote