View Single Post
Old
09-30-2013, 06:43 PM
helicon1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner McKay View Post
The hype around Skille was crazy. Was Beach hyped as much?
Memory is a spotty thing, but I don't recall there being that much hype for Skille pre-draft. I don't think he was ranked top ten in very many publications. In fact I'm not sure that he was top ten among just NA skaters. I remember being ecstatic when Montreal took Price because I thought Kopitar was dropping to the Hawks (BPA and arguably biggest need at the time). To say I was floored when they picked Skille would be an understatement. Friends who I was watching the draft with at the time had the same reaction. Not sure about this board's reaction.

Beach was a little different. It seemed their was a lot of hype coming from Canada anyway. As Canuck fans have alluded to, there was a lot of media pressure/talk/whatever you want to call it for them to draft Beach at 12. There were safer picks at that point in the draft (and I do remember a few fellow Hawk fans advocating for Myers at the time), but he was drafted as that big lw power forward type to ideally play on a line with Toews and Kane. There were attitude concerns even then though, and there was a decently high bust potential from the get-go

But in hindsight, after seeing the success Buff and then Bickell had with Toews and Kane, it's easy to understand the rationale behind the pick. Moreso than the Skille one anyway.

helicon1 is offline   Reply With Quote